‘Hey’ is one of the most common messages sent on dating apps and responding to it can be just a little more challenging than you thought. As strange as it may sound, you will have to put 80% of your effort into finding the right message to start the conversation, and only 20% to continue it and maybe move to another app.
The line between friendly and sexual texts is very thin. Make sure you think of a suitable response that will set the tone for the rest of the conversation. From Funny pick-up lines to more flirtatious ones, there is an endless list of examples you can send to establish this fine line.
But before rushing to reply take a step back and peek over their profile. Would you prefer to keep the conversation going with them? If not, it wouldn’t make sense to reply, but if they seem like a catch, keep rolling. They’ve given you a chance and now it’s your turn to make the move.
7 Ways to Respond to “Hey” on Tinder
1. Keep Their Curiosity Aroused
Curiosity is an essential human trait, and it can easily be provoked when you face something new or talk to someone for the first time, whether in person or online. The trick is to stimulate the conversation by asking questions that will make the other person want to know you more.
Once you match with someone, you are playing it all out by the time it comes to the first message. In a single message, you have to make them interested enough to continue the convo.
Chances are that they’ve messaged because they’d like to know you more. Don’t let this curiosity fade away, otherwise, you might turn them away.
Instead, feed it with answers like this:
- “Can you guess my favorite photo of you!”
- “What do you think my profession is?”
- “Which word would describe me best?”
- “Where do you think I’m from?”
- “Seems like you’ve moved at [city name]. Want some spot suggestions?”
2. Note Something Specific About Their Profile
Probably one of the best ways to start replying back and forth with your match is by looking up their profile and finding where their interests lie. Consider everything shown in the photos, whether it is a pet, the city they live in, or maybe the fact they like a particular movie.
After creating a general idea about their preferences, invest some time thinking about an original, friendly, and possibly personalized response, which makes them understand you have written it, especially for them, and not copied some random lines.
Start with a greeting back to make texting feel personal, and then let them know you've seen the details in their Tinder bio. Whatever you say make sure it sounds authentic.
- “I'll be honest with you; I liked you only for the dog.”
- “I noticed you had a great taste for music—do you often go to concerts?”
- “I saw you love traveling! Where will you be this summer?”
- “What's a must-visit in your city?”
- “That shirt matches so well with your skin color. Been to the beach this year?”
3. Use Humour and Be Playful
Hey! Don’t overthink this. It’s dating. We’re all here to have some fun and maybe match with someone along the way, but this doesn’t mean you should stress much about finding the perfect response. Being yourself and even sending your jokes that aren’t to die laughing for can help you connect with them at a deeper level.
Show your match you’re invested in getting to learn more about them by getting creative. Flirting over text is an art in itself. Don’t be afraid to poke some fun in a good way. Also, don’t stress too much in thinking about an answer. The simpler the text, the better the vibe.
This is your chance to prove that you’ve done your homework and watched enough comedy shows and movies to come up with something catchy. Good humor is one of the main reasons according to studies that encouraged women to choose which man they liked.
- “I was just going to text you.”
- “We finally found each other!”
- “What took you so long?”
- “I finally met someone who can teach me a love language!”
- “Hey, you’re adorable! Can I tell you that again on Friday over drinks?”
4. Keep It Short And Sweet
Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think too much about how to get the conversation going and simply spontaneously respond to your match. The tone of your text could be more important than what you say, and you don’t have to write a lengthy reply.
Keep it short and sweet. Make sure to ask questions that are not likely to be answered with a simple “yes” or “no” so the chances of getting the conversation flowing are even higher. Usually, the short replies are the catchy ones that encourage answers.
So, your job is to find the conversation starter that makes you stand out. Just don’t overdo it! Try to avoid direct compliments or dirty pick-up lines since you’re still strangers. Avoid thinking that if you don’t reply with a long response, it means you’re not interested. That’s what makes you appear clingy and weak. Instead, play the tough catch.
- “Favorite place to have a drink?
- “Where did you grow up?
- “What kind of music do you like?
- “What made you swipe right in the first place?”
- “Such a pleasant surprise!”
5. Bring Up a Conversation About Hobbies
Asking questions about someone’s hobbies shows you want to know them more. Not only does this show that you’ve paid close attention to their profile but it also directs the conversation into a non-sexual zone as if you’re friends, which is much more comfortable for both parties.
If you see that they travel a lot, that’s a good piece of information. Ask them if that’s their hobby or if it’s just for vacations. Or, they could’ve uploaded a pic of them playing the guitar. If you want to capture their interest, you can search on Google for a question about guitars and respond with a specific answer.
If they speak another language you know, respond in that language to surprise them. Maybe learning languages is their hobby, and they’d be surprised you gave a response in a language different from others.
- “So you’re a sci-fi fan. If you had to pick: ‘Star Wars’ or ‘Star Trek’?”
- “I’m also a vegetarian! How long have you been one?”
- “Nice poem. Are you a writer or it’s just a hobby?”
- “I finally met someone who teaches me Spanish!”
- “I’ve always liked to play the guitar! Have any advice?”
6. Put Your Storytelling Skills Into the Play
Humanity lives on stories. We are attracted to people who are good at telling stories because it’s in human nature to resonate with the emotions that a story evokes. But can this be done in a Tinder conversation with someone you’ve never spoken to before?
It can be done. Everyone can craft captivating stories, and even pack the impact of a whole story into a short sentence. It takes only a little bit of thinking, and the best part: the story doesn’t have to be true or yours. You’re just on the hunt for a response to keep the convo going.
They’ll ask you for an explanation which you can give in a few sentences, but the best way is that you don’t. Try to avoid explaining it by saying “I’ll explain it some other time. So how you’ve been?”, but if they insist on having a response, reveal it. You don’t want to appear unreliable.
- “I’m just glad to be alive.”
- “Something happened this weekend.”
- “Today is the last time I mess with the public bus! I’m done.”
- “I just learned what you should never do with peanut butter.”
- “Cucumber vodka. Never try it!”
7. Use a Catchy Pick-Up Line
You’re on Tinder. The majority of users are there for a hookup that could lead to a long-term relationship or not. Responding to “Hey” with a pick-up line saves you the going in circles and the lost time that comes with it. If you feel an attraction toward each other, this is likely to work.
Many girls are turned off by those who respect the fine line and bore them to death with the formal conversations. The truth is that a little bit of wilderness doesn’t hurt. They might’ve sent that “Hey” because your profile seemed hot, but if your reply is pretty basic, they’ll be put off.
It’s worth keeping in mind that this is completely relative to their current profile. Do they seem like someone looking for a serious relationship, who has no time for plays, or the opposite? After you’ve done your observations, give it a chance.
- “Do you have a nickname, or should I call you mine?”
- “Are you a Molotov? Cause you’re hot enough to smash.”
- “Well, here I am. What are your other two wishes?”
- “Aside from being sexy, what do you do for a living?”
- “I must be in a museum because you truly are a work of art!”