In the world of Tinder, first impressions count. But it's not just about your profile picture or bio. It's about the conversation that follows.
This guide is your secret weapon.
It's a curated list of questions designed to spark more than just small talk.
Each question is a stepping stone, leading you away from the crowd and towards genuine connections.
Are you ready to revolutionize your Tinder game?
Let's dive in.
Because in online dating, it's not just about finding a match. It's about finding the perfect conversation that could lead to the perfect match.
The Best Questions to Ask on Tinder:
These are my favorites because these questions are open-ended in nature which allow for a lot of conversation and exploration. This leads you to have opportunities to discover shared interests and potentially plan future dates.
1. What do you like to do for fun?
This question is a great icebreaker and can lead to discovering shared interests and hobbies.
2. Do you have any favorite local spots or hidden gems in the area?
This question can lead to a discussion about exploring the local area together and finding new places to check out.
3. What's the best vacation you've ever been on?
This question can reveal a lot about someone's travel preferences and can help you gauge if you have compatible ideas about future trips.
4. If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?
This question can lead to a discussion about career goals and aspirations.
5. What's your favorite type of cuisine?
This question can reveal a shared love of food and potentially lead to a future dinner date.
6. Do you have any pets?
This question can reveal a lot about someone's personality and lifestyle and can lead to a discussion about shared love for animals.
7. What's the last great book you read or movie you watched?
This question can lead to a discussion about shared interests in literature and film.
8. What's the most adventurous thing you've ever done?
This question can reveal someone's sense of adventure and willingness to try new things.
9. Do you have any siblings?
This question can reveal more about someone's family and background.
10. What's your idea of a perfect date?
This question can reveal someone's romantic preferences and can help you plan a future date that aligns with both of your interests.
Questions to Ask Based on Their Profile
11. Your profile says you love to travel. What's been your favorite trip so far and why?
12. I noticed you're into fitness. Do you have a favorite workout routine or gym?
13. I see you're a big fan of [insert TV show/movie/artist]. What's your favorite episode/movie/song from them?
14. I noticed you have a dog/cat. What's their name and what's their personality like?
15. I see you're into reading. What book are you currently reading or what's your favorite book of all time?
16. Your profile says you're a fan of hiking. What's the most beautiful hiking trail you've been on?
17. I see you're a foodie. Do you enjoy cooking yourself or do you prefer to try new restaurants?
18. Your profile says you enjoy playing [insert sport]. Do you play for fun or do you compete in leagues?
19. I love your photo of [say which photo]! Is there a story to go with it?
20. Hey, we have matching Interest Badges! I love [interest] too. What do you like about it?
21. It looks like our zodiac signs are compatible—we’re off to a good start! Are you into astrology?
22. So how long have you been in [their city]?
23. How was going to school at [their college]?
Interesting Questions to Ask On Tinder:
24. Who was your high school crush?
Yes, you’re free to tease them about their answer.
25. What’s your biggest dealbreaker?
We all have them. Find out before it’s too late if you’re even compatible.
26. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Same as above. You need to find out whether or not the two of you are in sync in terms of how you plan your days.
27. Do you prefer a beach vacation or a city break? Or even a trip to the countryside?
Not everyone enjoys the same kind of getaways, so find out if they have the same ideas as you when it comes to vacations.
28. What are you a snob about?
Find out whether they’re a snob about beer, wine, restaurants, art … whatever it is, you’re allowed to tease them afterward.
29. What was your longest relationship?
Especially if you’re looking for long-term commitment, it’s important to find out what you’re dealing with here. Are they commitment-phobe, or are they looking for the same thing as you?
30. What makes you unique?
Find out how they feel about themselves, including how confident they are in their own abilities.
31. If your friends could describe you in one word, what would it be?
And find out what their friends think of them too!
32. Tell me a fun fact about you …
Everyone has at least one fun fact, so use this question to learn more about them than what is on their bio.
33. Where do you see yourself in ten years' time?
This is a pretty deep question. But if the time feels right to ask it, you should totally go ahead and ask it on Tinder as there’s nothing better than sharing our goals with each other.
34. What are you most passionate about?
This question will really encourage them to open up, and it could help to create an early bond between the two of you.
35. Where’s your happy place?
Maybe it looks like yours?
36. What are you most proud of in life?
The key to succeeding on Tinder is to get the other person to talk about themselves. Use this question to invite them to talk positively about themselves, as well as share with you the things they’re most proud of.
37. What’s the worst present anyone ever gave you?
And did they have to smile and pretend they loved it?
38. What were you like as a kid?
This question has the potential to open up a whole can of hilarious stories, and the two of you can bond as you share your childhood experiences with each other.
39. Seen any good movies lately?
This can seem like a cliched question, but it encourages conversation as you get to talk about the films you both like, as well as actors and actresses.
40. Have you been single long?
And are they enjoying it? This question will give you insights into where their mindset is right now, how comfortable they are with being single, and whether or not they’re in a rush to find the “One.”
41. If your 15-year-old self could see you today, what would they think?
It’s fascinating to learn how people view themselves, and how they see how far they’ve come/grown over the years.
42. What would it take for someone to take you off this app?
Such a question will give you insights into what they’re looking for, as well as how hard you’re gonna have to work.
43. Tea, coffee, or tequila?
Just so you can get some date ideas.
44. What’s something you would never tell anyone but a total stranger you’ll never meet again?
This question will really get them thinking and it could throw up a really interesting answer!
45. What’s your go-to shower song?
See if you can bond over cheesy shower songs!
46. What’s the best advice anyone has given you?
And maybe they can share the wisdom with you?
47. What’s your idea of a perfect date?
This, first date, is a good question to ask your Tinder match if you’re looking for someone to start a long-term relationship with. Why? Because the answer should give you a fairly good idea of what it would be like to spend time together. Like actual time.
48. How would your best friend describe you?
This is a great first question because it gives your match an opportunity to describe his or her best qualities without sounding like they’re bragging. Believe it or not, some people are so humble that they would never tell you about these awesome qualities from their own perspective.
49. What did you give your best friend (or sibling, parent, etc.) for his/her birthday?
If generosity is an important quality in your ideal mate, then this is the perfect question to ask. If your match says “nothing”, then this may be a red flag that you need to move on to the next guy or gal.
50. How much time do you think a couple should spend apart?
This can be a really important question to ask on an online dating app like Tinder, especially if you’re an independent person.
51. What do you like on your pizza?
This may seem like a frivolous question to ask, but some people take their pizza pretty seriously. If you’re the kind of person who refuses to eat frozen pizza or who judges friends when they order pineapple on their pie, then you may be one of them.
Why not get this heated discussion out of the way right out of the gate? Is he a pepperoni or a salami guy for instance? These are things you need to know!
Plus, if you end up together, you’re gonna be sharing more than a slice or two together, am I right?
52. Would you rather …?
This is a good Tinder opener because you can be as naughty/flirty/cheeky as you like, or you can be as serious as you like. Either way, it’s a great way to start a conversation.
53. What was the worst date you ever went on?
We’ve all had perfect dates. But what about the worst dates? The memories could have you both roaring with laughter.
54. What’s your idea of a perfect day?
Because you need to know if their idea of a perfect day matches up with yours.
55. What do you look for in a man/woman?
Ask this question to find out whether you’re even their type!
56. Ice cream or frozen yogurt?
You can tell a lot about a person by their choice of frozen dessert. If she goes for ice cream, it could mean she doesn’t take herself too seriously or she knows how to have fun. It could mean nothing at all, but still—it’s something to start a conversation with your Tinder match.
57. What’s in your refrigerator right now?
This is a funny question to ask to get a conversation going, and it could have some surprising results. Depending on what the answer is, you could learn a lot about your match.
If the answer is beer and leftover pizza, then you know you’re dealing with the typical frat boy, for instance.
If it’s protein shakes and kale, then you’ve got a fitness freak on your hands. Neither one of these is necessarily a deal-breaker, but it’s good to know!
58. Lights on or off?
This flirty question is a good one if you want to test the mood without offending your match because it’s suggestive but not over the top. If he or she answers honestly, it might also give you some insight into how open your match is when it comes to intimacy.
59. What body part do you find the sexiest on a man/woman?
This is an interesting question that can give you a good bit of insight into your match. If he answers“eyes” for instance, then he may be a romantic at heart. If she says “abs,” then she’s probably a fitness junkie.
60. Do you have a fetish?
This is a risky question to ask, but if you’re willing to give it a go, it could make for a stimulating convo! The answer to this question could also help you fend off the weirdos.
If he shares a fetish that you’re definitely not into, then you’ve dodged a bullet. You’re welcome.
Asking questions on Tinder is a lot like using Tinder pick-up lines. Before you do it, you need to have a fairly good idea of what you want the outcome to be. And if you plan on posing a serious or hot question on Tinder, be prepared to face a little rejection. It just comes with the territory. As long as you don’t take yourself too seriously, though, you can’t go wrong!
61. What (or who) are you most obsessive about?
This gives you the chance to find out as soon as possible whether you’ll be dating a boxset fanatic, for example.
62. Winter or summer?
Because, like, you need to know if you’re on the level when it comes to the seasons.
63. What causes you to lose your focus?
Their answer to this could go either way (maybe it’s daydreaming about sex or something more serious, such as hypochondria). Whatever their answer, it will give you insights into their mindset.
Fun Questions to Ask on Tinder
64. If you could have any animal as a pet, but it had to be able to speak one human language, which animal and language would you choose?
65. What's the worst pickup line you've ever heard?
66. If you could switch lives with any fictional character, who would it be and why?
67. Do you think aliens would find us attractive?
68. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, but it had to be a condiment, which condiment would you choose?
69. What's the weirdest dream you've ever had?
70. Do you believe in love at first swipe?
71. If you could be any mythical creature for a day, which one would you choose?
72. Have you ever had a celebrity crush that you're slightly embarrassed about?
73. If you had to be stranded on a deserted island with one person, who would it be and why?
74. Do you believe in Bigfoot?
75. What's the most ridiculous fashion trend you've ever participated in?
76. If you could have any job in the world, but it had to be ridiculous, what would it be?
77. Do you think dogs or cats would be better at playing poker?
78. What's the best prank you've ever pulled or been a victim of?
79. If you could create your own reality TV show, what would it be about?
80. What's the most ridiculous thing you've ever done for love?
81. If you had to pick one historical figure to be your wingman/wingwoman, who would it be and why?
82. Do you think robots will one day replace humans in romantic relationships?
83. If you could have any superpower, but it had to be completely useless, what would it be?
Flirty Questions to Ask on Tinder
84. If you were a fruit, you'd be a fine-apple. What's your favorite fruit?
85. Do you believe in love at first swipe, or do I need to swipe right again?
86. You must be a magician because every time I look at your profile, everyone else disappears.
87. If we were in a romantic comedy, what would our meet-cute be?
88. Do you have a map? I keep getting lost in your eyes.
89. If we were in a movie, what genre would it be? I'm hoping for a rom-com.
90. Are you a fan of spontaneous adventures? Because I'm feeling like jumping out of this app and getting a drink with you.
91. Do you have a favorite romantic movie? I'm taking recommendations.
92. I think I might be allergic to swiping left because every time I see you, my heart skips a beat.
93. If we were in a movie, what would our love song be?
94. You're so beautiful that you just made me forget my cheesy pickup line. Wanna grab a drink instead?
95. If I were to write a rom-com about us, what would the climax be?
96. Do you believe in fate? Because I feel like we were meant to match on this app.
97. I hope you're not tired because you've been running through my mind all day.
98. If we were characters in a romance novel, what would be our steamy scene?
99. You're like the sunshine on a rainy day, brightening up my life and making everything better.
100. Do you have a favorite romantic spot in the city? Because I'd love to take you there.
101. You must be a shooting star because I'm making a wish that we'll match.
102. If I were a genie, I'd grant you three wishes. What would you wish for?
103. Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?